Back in the early days of Tropicana, the Cooking Channel stopped by with Eden Grinshpan who arrived in Austin, Texas for her 24 hour around the world food adventure for her TV show Eden Eats. We had an amazing experience and showed Erin how to make real authentic Cuban loafs, traditional Cuban sandwich, and popular Pastelitos de Queso (We’ve included the recipe from the show below).
Pastelito de de Queso: Cuban Puff Pastry With Cream Cheese
- 5 pounds high-gluten flour (bread flour), plus more for dusting
- 1 1/2 liters water
- 4 ounces pork lard
- 1 1/2 ounces salt
- 2 1/2 pounds margarine, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup sugar
- 13 1/4 ounces cream cheese
- Combine and mix the flour, water, pork lard and salt. Mix until the dough is not sticky but not firm (do not over mix), finger should leave a dent. Place the dough on a large, floured work surface. Using hands, stretch the dough out into a large, even rectangle. Spread the cubes of margarine evenly on top. Vertically fold each end to meet in the middle. Overlapping, in thirds, fold horizontally. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough to 1 1/2 inches thick. Fold into thirds vertically and then again horizontally. Transfer to a baking tray and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Once rested, transfer the dough to a floured work surface and roll out to a 1-inch thick rectangle. Dust off any excess flour and repeat the folds, 4 folds in total. Transfer to a baking tray, wrap and refrigerate for 30 to 60 minutes.
- Lay the dough on a sugared work surface. Sprinkle the rest of the sugar on top of the dough. Roll the dough out to a 3/4-inch thick rectangle. Make sure to press the sugar into the dough. Cut the dough into 3-inch squares. Place a heaping tablespoon of cream cheese in each center. Wet the dough’s edges with water. Fold one corner into the cream cheese and continue to roll like a cigar. Press 3 fingers flat on top of the pastry. Place in the oven for until golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Serve with a cafe con leche.